[lbo-talk] Marx without quotation marks

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Mar 31 09:37:00 PDT 2009

That is something that has always struck me as being self-evident. What is Foucault's *Discipline and Punish*, if it isn't a Marxist-inspired work on criminal justice in capitalists societies.

I think a lot of people get thrown because Foucault was a self-proclaimed Nietzschean who had the avowed goal of developing a genealogy of human knowledge (and who had renounced the French CP back in the early 1950s). But Foucault clearly used Marxist tools for his Nietzschean project.

Jim F.

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Marx without quotation marks Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:24:16 -0700

Foucault in Power/Knowledge:

"I often quote concepts, texts and phrases from Marx, but without feeling obliged to add the authenticating label of a footnote with a laudatory phrase to accompany the quotation. As long as one does that, one is regarded as someone who knows and reveres Marx, and will be suitably honoured in the so-called Marxist journals. But I quote Marx without saying so, without quotation marks, and because people are incapable of recognising Marx's texts I am thought to be someone who doesn't quote Marx. When a physicist writes a work of physics, does he feel it necessary to quote Newton and Einstein?"

http://foucauldians.blogspot.com/2007/08/foucault-on-marx.html

____________________________________________________________ Free quote and debt consolidation information. Click Here. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTIk3lKcQXyOezMZjSOtTy4GiLv1P85yraGgc670xXMrBrBwAnUytC/