[lbo-talk] umbrellas and hasidism

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Mar 31 11:14:51 PDT 2009

Dennis quotes Zizek:

> I think here we had enough of this multicultural
> ideology, which for me at least is often an
> inverted racism – namely for example when people
> come here – typically multiculturalists would
> say: “Oh I want to understand how you are
> different.” No, what you should understand is
> that fundamentally they are not different here –
> just different things happened to them.... I
> think we should totally object to this liberal
> blackmail; we should understand each other – no
> the world is too complex we can not – I hate
> people, I don't want to understand people. I want
> to have a certain code where I don’t understand
> your way of life and you don't understand mine but we still can coexist.
>
> Slavoj Zizek in a recent interview, where he also
> calls himself "an old-fashioned Marxist."
>
> http://www.euronews.net/2008/09/12/euronews-talks-films-and-balkans-with-slavoj-zizek/

heh. at least he's honest! "I hate people...."!

yeah. it's irrelevant to me as to whether they appreciate the questions and the curiosity. rather, i believe that, as someone who resents lazy questions from men about women's oppression, lazy questions from men about what feminist theory is all about, lazy questioners who've asked me, so "If I were constantly gawked at and whistled at, I'd *love* it. why don't you girls love it." etc. etc., I realize that I don't want to be the lazy asshole -- like them.

Aside from which, yes, it is pretty much a general rule of anti-oppression work (some call it ally work 101) that radicalized people of color and other radicalized members of minorities have specifically organized around. *

Finally, it's *my* way of going about things. It wouldn't feel right to me to treat people in ways that I think people have mistreated me and my friends. E.g., I've also witnessed this stupid ass behavior toward my friends and family members ... and it burns. Plus, I've been doing this since I was a kid: when someone was from a different religious background, I'd get really curious and start reading and doing book reports and demos and such on the issue.

It comes from, among other sources, Jenny Yamato's essay from Gloria Anzaldua's and Cheria Moraga's _This Bridge Called My Back_:

<quote> Whites who want to be allies to people of color: You can educate yourselves via research and observation rather than rigidly, arrogantly relying solely on interrogating people of color. Do not expect that people of color should teach you how to behave non-oppressively. Do not give into the pull to be lazy. Think, hard. Do not blame people of color for your frustration about racism, but do appreciate the fact that people of color will often help you get in touch with that frustration. Assume that your effort to be a good friend is appreciated, but don't expect or accept gratitude from people of color. Work on racism for your sake, not "their" sake. Assume that you are needed and capable of being a good ally. Know that you'll make mistakes and commit yourself to correcting them and continuing on as an ally, no matter what. Don't give up. </quote>