[lbo-talk] umbrellas and hasidism

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 31 14:15:29 PDT 2009

It occurs to me, that when I was curious about Judaism it was a simple matter of picking up a casual friendship with my neighbor downstairs. We had some common ground to start, photography, and lots of books. It turned out Mat was an ancient history nut. So that's how it started, naturally, easily, without any business over oppression, bigotry, or prejudice. I learned a lot from him. We used to argue continuously, with our roles reversed. He was always playing devil's advocate. So, that meant I had to defend various things like God's punishment of Moses, i.e no promised land for you. My justification was the punishment follows the law of reciprocity as justice. The grestest gift incured the greatest sacrifice.

After Matty moved, I got to know Mike the guy who moved in next. Mike belongs to an Orthodox congregation. It is Hasidic, but I don't know its name. He follows the laws on various things like food. But he interprets the dress codes without actually dressing in any of the traditional dress. We occasionally share a drink together in the evenings. It was during one of these evening conversations, that I got a really fine insight into religious belief, in a good sense. That was always lacking in me.

So, our friendship has to be based on my respect for that, for the centrality of belief. The one subject we have agreed not to talk about was Israel. If he wants to talk about Israel, he brings it up, and I listen. When Israel pulled its winter offensive on Gaza, and I had been following the Gaza websites ... I was going down the back stairs and Mike happened to be coming out his back door. He must have been following the news about Gaza. I know he was just as horrified as I was. He didn't say anything. He just rolled his eyes and shook his head. His reaction was deep sadness. Mine of course was outrage. But the more I thought about it, the more I also found sadness. It's the kind of sadness that comes from watching hypocritical fools.

What's the point of sharing all this? If you see any common ground to get to know your neighbors, use it to start up an aquaintance. Then your curiousity will be satisfied without intrusion, intended or otherwise. Questions and anwers will follow, organically on their own. This is very easy to do here in this particular building and this community. What makes it easy is the extreme diversity of people incountered in everyday life.

So, I tend to separate out theory here and skip it as a practice and practical matter. Instead, I get to know people and find out what they are like.

These experiences have lead me to a completely different interpretation of multiculturalism---that I don't see it as somekind of liberal guilt tripping sop, or bad idea or some counter revolution practice.

I found in practice it's quite the reverse for me. I have gotten to know about other worlds, other cultural systems, other ways of thought and living. If there is some down side to all this multiculturalism, I sure haven't found any.

CG