[lbo-talk] umbrellas and hasidism

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 31 14:43:44 PDT 2009

At 02:15 PM 3/31/2009, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>So that's how it started, naturally, easily, without any business
>over oppression,
>bigotry, or prejudice. I learned a lot from him.

What shag is talking about doesn't preclude this. I learned a lot from a young age from a dear friend who was the double down combo of black and gay. Among the things I learned was to take my medicine when he would say things like "I'll bet your parents call black people 'those people'." That's the kind of thing addressed in this passage shag quoted:

<quote> Whites who want to be allies to people of color: You can educate yourselves via research and observation rather than rigidly, arrogantly relying solely on interrogating people of color. Do not expect that people of color should teach you how to behave non-oppressively. Do not give into the pull to be lazy. Think, hard. Do not blame people of color for your frustration about racism, but do appreciate the fact that people of color will often help you get in touch with that frustration. Assume that your effort to be a good friend is appreciated, but don't expect or accept gratitude from people of color. Work on racism for your sake, not "their" sake. Assume that you are needed and capable of being a good ally. Know that you'll make mistakes and commit yourself to correcting them and continuing on as an ally, no matter what. Don't give up. </quote>

This is extremely important I think.