[lbo-talk] happy 191st

Sheldon humanist.observer at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:00:42 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Happy 191st birthday to Karl Marx!
>>

> Shoulda known?! On Marx's birthday, I began listening to David Harvey's
> lectures/class on Capital, vol.I, (
> http://davidharvey.org/reading-capital/) as I drove the hour from East
> Lansing to Mount Pleasant - what a great
> introduction and accessible delivery!... at least in lecture one.
>
> I read all three volumes in a working seminar run by Jim O'Connor in grad
> school (just blew my mind (even with a lot of prep via repeated trips
> through Tucker's Reader, Ollman's Alienation, Smith's Uneven Development and
> Sayers' Violence of Abstraction by that point) and have assigned v.1 in a
> seminar requested by my grad students at MSU, so it's great to get a
> slightly different presentation... most particularly because,
> embarrassingly, I've only ever scanned Limits to Capital.

What a coincidence, yesterday I was just about to do some long distance driving myself and had just downloaded Harvey's first two lectures, and listened to them on the way. I thought it hilarious that Harvey predicted when a person would most likely put down Capital in frustration, about Chapter 3, which is about where I put it down as well years ago. After listening to the first two chapters, I am inspired to give it another try with his guidance.