[lbo-talk] happy 191st

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:14:48 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I read all three volumes in a working seminar run by Jim O'Connor in grad
> school (just blew my mind (even with a lot of prep via repeated trips
> through Tucker's Reader, Ollman's Alienation, Smith's Uneven Development and
> Sayers' Violence of Abstraction by that point) and have assigned v.1 in a
> seminar requested by my grad students at MSU, so it's great to get a
> slightly different presentation... most particularly because,
> embarrassingly, I've only ever scanned Limits to Capital.

Limits to Capital is great, still my favourite Harvey book, although his stuff on 19th century Paris is maybe more fun. I always recommend it to people when I hear they're going to embark on a reading of Capital, to read first or even instead, because it's a better way to get an overview of the whole, restructured in a more rational way, and with open discussion of the problems. Especially due to the 'chapter 3 problem' - I reckon it's better to not read Capital at all than to only read the first few chapters of Vol 1, because you'll come away with a distorted view of what it's all about.

Mike Beggs

PS.... you were going to send me that course outline on your music course...