[lbo-talk] LF on WSJ

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 5 17:24:04 PDT 2009

On May 5, 2009, at 6:59 PM, dredmond at efn.org wrote:

> On Tue, May 5, 2009 12:12 pm, Doug Henwood forwarded:
>
>> <http://www.cjr.org/feature/identity_crisis.php>.
>
> Excellent stuff. My favorite moment:
>
> "Turning to a newspaper, Thomson says, that reader then 'confronts
> this
> Neanderthal product. Taking four paragraphs to get to the point is too
> long. Where is the editorial empathy?'"

I actually like Robert Thomson. Maybe it's because he likes my stuff, so I'm biased. But in my experience, he's a smart fellow.

I loved the old WSJ. But for the last 10-15 years I kept wondering who the hell was reading those long stories and how long they could continue to get away with it. There are some problems with the new WSJ, but it's still a great paper, and if Thomson can keep it alive economically, then the world is better off.

Doug