[lbo-talk] How many earths

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu May 7 10:55:07 PDT 2009

I saw The Examined Life last night. It's directed by Astra Taylor, who did Zizek! a couple years ago. In this movie she and a small crew film a number of thinkers walking (in one case rowing) and talking about life and philosophy. Zizek is in it and delivers a critique of environmentalism in a garbage dump. He says we're not alienated enough from nature and that we need "a much more terrifying abstract materialism"

Another favorite line for me was from Avital Ronell, who I didn't know before this movie. She says "If you have a good conscience, then you're worthless."

Here's a bit from an interview with Taylor:

http://www.nplusonemag.com/time-real

n+1: One transition that was particularly interesting was the one between Michael Hardt and Zizek, which goes from

AT: "The beautiful better world"

n+1:

to a garbage dump.

AT: The pan up to beautiful trees, revolutionary desire and this utopian ambition and then basically just plunging you back into trash and chaos.

n+1: At the same time, it does imbue a kind of grandeur or majesty to the trash Zizek is moving through. How did you find these locations?

AT: Zizek wanted to talk about ecology. I had been spending a lot of time in Tijuana for another project among people who live in a mountain of refuse which has now actually been shut down. It's an apocalyptic environment that I have an attraction/repulsion to. When Zizek said he wanted to talk about ecology I knew we needed a garbage dump. Then it was a matter of finding one in London where he was.