[lbo-talk] How many earths

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu May 7 18:45:57 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>wrote:

> At 12:40 PM 5/7/2009, Chris Doss wrote:
>
> I wasn't criticizing Zizek per se, just pointing out that the whole "human
>> beings/nature" dichotomy is deeply problematic.
>>

> Naturally.
>
> But I think the way Zizek throws out things like "we must be more alienated
> from nature" in a forum like a movie or an interview has a big effect.

Granted, I've not seen it - nor, irresponsibly, do I know my Zizek - but isn't his argument most likely to be one intending to blow up romantic, realist, transcendental and idealist approaches to nature qua Nature? That it is only by seeing Raymond Williams great volume of human history embedded in the idea of nature that we can get beyond naturalism and naturalization (another word for which is reification)...

Later.