[lbo-talk] How many earths

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu May 7 14:44:13 PDT 2009

At 12:40 PM 5/7/2009, Chris Doss wrote:

>I wasn't criticizing Zizek per se, just pointing out that the whole
>"human beings/nature" dichotomy is deeply problematic.

Naturally.

But I think the way Zizek throws out things like "we must be more alienated from nature" in a forum like a movie or an interview has a big effect. It reminds me of reading a J.G. Ballard interview a long time ago where he said he wanted us to have more nuclear weapons. I didn't know what to make of it at first but it stuck with me.

You hear liberals go on about the right relying on repeating talking points and how dumb that is, but it worked pretty well for them for a long time. Zizek is a great promoter and that's a good thing as far as I can see.

'I want more nuclear weapons! ... I want my own cruise missile at the bottom of my garden.'

J.G. Ballard in RE/Search 1984