[lbo-talk] Y'all Yeti for This (was: How many earths)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu May 7 21:19:32 PDT 2009

"There is only nature" means nothing at all, unless you have previously defined what "nature" is. Shane is presumably using it to mean "matter" (whatever that is) or "things that aren't supernatural" (think, for a second, about what a meaningless concept that is. Presumably it means "things that are real" -- as opposed to gods and demons -- and so is totally empty. Nobody has anywhere deliberately set up a system consciously based on "things that aren't real"). "Nature" is a historically mediated concept corresponding to nothing directly, or intuitively obvious, in the world. Shane can't just pull his favorite meaning out of his butt.

"Nature" means, in contemporary discourse, several things, including at least:

1) Everything. 2) Everything that is not supernatural (circular concept). 3) Everything that exists external to human beings (problematic concept). 4) That which is nondeliberative. E.g., a child's desire to suckle is natural; building a bridge is not. A dog's desire to eat meat is natural; its ability to learn to open doors is not. 5) That which is "normal," which corresponds to some essential pattern (kindly note that this is the ORIGINAL MEANING OF THE WORD*). "This is not natural behavior;" "things do not do this naturally."

* "Nature" in the ancient world meant "that which is produced by itself according to its internal law," phusis (in fact, change "internal law" to "external law" and this is still the standard scientific understanding of "nature"). "Nature" in the Middle Ages meant "that which follows the laws laid down by God," i.e., everything except those actions performed by human beings (and demons) out of their own free will (ok, demons don't have free will, but you get the idea) that violate God's law, in other words, sinful actions. (Please note that the concept of "supernatural" is meaningless in the Medieval worldview.)

Lecture now ends.