[lbo-talk] Mao, Mao, Mao Tse-Tung, Dare to Struggle, Dare to Win!

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri May 8 20:38:37 PDT 2009

. . . I bring up this part because it reminded me about recent discussion of

Carrol's use of Maoist thought. It's interesting. If PL is indicative of Maoist thought, then Carrol would be a poor example of what they appeared to support: namely, that the action was with the workers; that students should give up their educations and go into the factories to organize; that anti-imperialism, anti-racism, and women's liberation were nothing but

bourgeois, divisive distrations.

>> As others have mentioned, PL did not have a monopoly on Mao
thought. In fact, at one point PL renounced Mao and the Chinese CP and was reduced to celebrating the last true revolutionary leader, Enver Hoxha of Albania. I don't remember if this had happened by the time of the convention. I wasn't there.

>> It's not quite accurate to say PL was disinterested in
anti-imperialism, etc. They blathered endlessly about imperialism and racism, not so much women's lib, all the time. What they opposed were separate organizations dedicated to any particular cause or limited to any racial or gender group.

>> The Port Huron Statement is on the web somewhere. It's not as
radical as half the stuff said here on LBO.

>> To me the most interesting SDS years were those between the early
social-dem/ community organizing years and the later dogmatic Leninist/Trotskyist/Maoist sects. I came late to the party myself, after the split, latching onto PL for a while. (Never joined.)