[lbo-talk] Tweet

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue May 12 03:19:38 PDT 2009

The mass anti-war movement, such as it was, thrived notwithstanding the WU.

What did die was the radical student movement. After all, the WU did split SDS and propagate its ridiculous ideology. It also provided some great political ammunition to Richard Nixon.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Sheldon Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:48 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Tweet

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dennis-perrin/the-bill-ayers-distractio _b_133591.html>

> <http://redstateson.blogspot.com/2007/04/weather-vain.html>
>
> Dennis

Dennis in the second essay says:

"Lots of libs and lefties like to Weather bash, which is fine, as those who engaged in domestic bombing campaigns did more than damage property -- they helped to kill what remained of the anti-Vietnam war movement. Former Weather member Mark Rudd said that the group essentially did the FBI's job for them, and he's right. Blowing up buildings in a largely apolitical country with no mass support among the populace was politically narcissistic and strategically dumb."

I have to ask, is it really true that Weather bombings actually helped finish off the anti-War movement?

Although I agree with Dennis' last sentence, I am not so convinced that the WU did the damage he and others claim it did. As I recall, WU bombing mostly occurred between 1969-1973. Did not the anti-Vietnam war movement continue throughout this period?

Elswhere, not quoted above, either Dennis or somebody else I think suggests that the WU helped provoke repression against the Panthers. I hardly see how this could be the case given that the Panthers were at the receiving end of severe repression prior to, during and after WU actions. Correct me if I am mis-interpreting somebody here.