[lbo-talk] French Theory

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun May 17 18:55:30 PDT 2009

I've been reading French Theory by Francois Cusset. It's very good and I think anyone who has thoughts on "theory", whether you think it's the best thing since sliced sushi or the proximate cause of the death of resistance, should take a look.

It came up here about a month ago but was given little notice. Certainly not as much notice as it deserves, considering how often the list piles on this topic.

Dwayne summed things up nicely, as usual, and pointed to a bookforum review by Scott McLemee. Dwayne's post is here, with a link to McLemee's review:

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20090413/005912.html

I just found another take by McLemee here:

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/mclemee/mclemee91