[lbo-talk] Shag on French Theory

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun May 17 19:20:27 PDT 2009

To give credit where it's due, Shag told us about the French Theory book a long time ago:

Way more here:

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2008/2008-September/015553.html

Dewds! I'm quite excited by this book, Francois Cusset's _French Theory: How Foucault, Derrida, Deleuze, & Co. Transformed the Intellectual LIfe of the United States_. It is not as fantabulous as Janet Halley's _Split Decisions_, but it is nonetheless a terrific intellectual history of French theory as it was taken up in the United States. I totally think Chuck Grimes might like this book because of his interest in art. So much of the early rise of French theory had to do with the co-mingling between scholars of French literature and language, artists, writers, activists, musicians, and various academic types from the humanities, mostly English, who would stumble over some translation in a dog-eared mimeographed copy that was passed from person to person, "Here, check this out," or left about at clubs, coffee houses, communal storefronts, anarchist spaces, etc.

[....]