[lbo-talk] India's Hindu Party Reflects on Election Drubbing

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Tue May 19 00:51:33 PDT 2009

Ravi,

The trouble with the Indian Left is its total intellectual bankruptcy. The voter has finally seen through this. Unless they radically reinvent themselves, I see them fading away rapidly into oblivion. Which would be unfortunate because, if nothing else, their record on secularism has been impeccable. A vibrant Left would certainly help to keep the Congress government on its toes. One can only wish that the Yechuris and the Karats, whose ideologies were forged in the coffeehouse ambience of JNU in the 'seventies (and remain largely ossified in the discourse of that period), finally wake up from their dogmatic slumbers. The prognosis, in my view, is quite poor.

Sujeet