[lbo-talk] India's Hindu Party Reflects on Election Drubbing

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue May 19 07:34:46 PDT 2009

On May 19, 2009, at 3:51 AM, Sujeet Bhatt wrote:

> The trouble with the Indian Left is its total intellectual bankruptcy.
> The voter has finally seen through this. Unless they radically
> reinvent themselves, I see them fading away rapidly into oblivion.
> Which would be unfortunate because, if nothing else, their record on
> secularism has been impeccable. A vibrant Left would certainly help to
> keep the Congress government on its toes. One can only wish that the
> Yechuris and the Karats, whose ideologies were forged in the
> coffeehouse ambience of JNU in the 'seventies (and remain largely
> ossified in the discourse of that period), finally wake up from their
> dogmatic slumbers. The prognosis, in my view, is quite poor.

Some follow-up questions:

What would constitute a reinvention for the CPI etc? They are after all, by definition, wedded to a particular ideology. If their problem is intellectual bankruptcy (as opposed to strategic errors or just plain hypocrisy), then what is an alternative Left intellectual basis? A revival of the JP, or at least JP? While that suits me quite well, that seems even less likely.

What worries me is that the voter, in seeing through the flaws of the Left, might not be seeking a more vibrant Left, but might be, like the voter in the USA, accepting the cynical choice between two largely capitalist/neo-liberal parties. I fear that the demise of the JP and its off-shoots (not counting the BJP), the possibly self-inflicted exit of the CPI, the weakening of state parties, will all lead to a US- style reduction of options and democracy -- hence my drawing parallels between the Dems and the Congress.

--ravi