[lbo-talk] India's Hindu Party Reflects on Election Drubbing

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Tue May 19 13:00:31 PDT 2009

Pol, you're going to send McIntyre to the hospital if you're not careful. You know, one of those if-your-erection-lasts-more-than-four-hours-please-go-to-the-hospital-immediately erections. This piece you've posted here is the worst kind of ersatz left political "analysis" of India's politics: large pronouncement unsupported by evidence but larded with references to Gramsci and the other usual suspects with whom the author has only the most perfunctory acquaintance. No one on this list would think of making grand pronouncements like this about U.S. politics with no attention whatsoever paid to sub-national variation. In India, the level of understanding of local detail needed to get anything like a comprehensive picture of Indian national politics is an order of magnitude higher. Frankel and Rao's edited two-volume set, Dominance and State Power in Modern India, did the job for the first quarter-century or so of Indian politics. Glance through those volumes and you'll get a sense of the kind of base that would be needed to support Gopalakrishnan's cavalier generalizations.

MM