[lbo-talk] Irish Priests Beat and Raped Children

cmk1 at eircom.net cmk1 at eircom.net
Thu May 21 05:28:26 PDT 2009

Hi, first time commenter to LBO-Talk but long time lurker. This is something 'close' to my experience. Being Irish and 'educated' by the Christian Brothers. Thankfully at the fag end of their long dominance of the education of boys in Ireland.

The particularly interesting thing about this report is it calls into question the hegemonic belief among Irish elite groups that the country was or is a liberal democracy. It seems that we had a curious parallel liberal/theocratic system up until very recently. And it may be making a bit of a comeback with new blasphemy laws being mooted. Trangression of sexual or 'moral' norms appeared to trigger the suspension of the Irish constitution - full of the usual liberal 'protections' - and activation of the theocratic justice system with for instance, the effective imprisonment of unmarried mothers in what were effectively labour camps. A sense of this can be garnered from Peter Mullen's film 'The Magdalene Sisters'.

But what's also clear from details that are emerging form this report and from the debate in Ireland on this issue over the past few years, is the clear class element to the abuse. If you were a working class child and transgressed the criminal law or the more stringently enforced moral laws you were more likely to be go to an institution. Your chances of suffering at the very least physical abuse and possibly sexual abuse were very high. Moreover, if you were working class and your family suffered any kind of problems - break-up, death of a parent(s) - you went to one of these institutions and, quite often, became a victim. But, of course, class have never existed in Ireland and I'm talking rubbish. Aidan Quinn's film 'Song for a Raggy Boy' can also give some sense of perspective on this system.

Ciarán.