[lbo-talk] Close the Prisons Re: Irish priests beat, raped children

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Thu May 21 11:32:06 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 12:22 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:
> My definition of a leftist: Someone who wholeheartedly accepts the
> slogan, "Close the Prisons." There is no other left demand quite as
> central as this one.

Is California's threatened release of prisoners leftist?

"Prisons are built with stones of Law. Brothels with the bricks of religion." Both are symptoms of fundamental underlying problems, and closing prisons isn't necessarily going to work any better than our current society's attempts at closing brothels. Even a slightly better society may well have far fewer prisoners, e.g. if the War on Some Drugs ended. A truly better society might have none, but the lack of prisons would be a sign of success of some other policy.