[lbo-talk] Close the Prisons Re: Irish priests beat, raped children

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 21 17:29:21 PDT 2009

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> "Prisons are built with stones of Law. Brothels with the bricks of
> religion." Both are symptoms of fundamental underlying problems, and
> closing prisons isn't necessarily going to work any better than our
> current society's attempts at closing brothels.

Two points.

1. The concern is the building of a strong and militant left movement. That involves concrete evils to fight against.

2. We don't _know_ what will and will not "work" and to what extent within the present system. Are we supposed to sit on the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings until Revolution drops from the sky?

Carrol