[lbo-talk] Close the Prisons Re: Irish priests beat, raped children

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu May 21 13:26:42 PDT 2009

At 12:55 PM 5/21/2009, Chris Doss wrote:

>"Close the Prisons!" is not a slogan that is going to attract
>anybody in the population whatsoever.

It might not be a great slogan but it's not true that it would attract no one whatsoever.

>Two years ago, when I was one of the editors at YES!, we devoted an
>issue to the question,
>"<http://www.yesmagazine.org/default.asp?ID=80>Is It Time to Close
>the Prisons?" We researched drug wars, mandatory sentencing, racial
>disparities, and the privatization of prisons. And the closer we
>looked, the more horrifying the picture became. Yet we stopped short
>of recommending that we close the prisons. I have often wondered why.

[...]

http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=695

Excerpted from a review of these books:

Book Reviews: Now is it time to close the prisons? by Carol Estes []

[]

THE PERPETUAL PRISONER MACHINE: How America Profits from Crime By Joel Dyer Westview Press, 2001, 318 pages, $18.00 Buy this book from Powell's, an independent bookstore

ARE PRISONS OBSOLETE? By Angela Y. Davis Seven Stories Press, 2003, 128 pages, $9.95 Buy this book from Powell's, an independent bookstore

PRISON NATION: The Warehousing of America's Poor Edited by Tara Herivel and Paul Wright Routledge, 2003, 332 pages, $19.95 Buy this book from Powell's, an independent bookstore

THE DEATH GAME: Capital Punishment and the Luck of the Draw By Mike Gray Common Courage Press, 2003, 232 pages, $19.95 Buy this book from Powell's, an independent bookstore