[lbo-talk] Irish priests beat, raped children

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri May 22 11:37:46 PDT 2009

SA wrote:
> Shane Mage wrote:
>
>> That the Leviticus passage doesn't mention female homoeroticism
>> (never, ever, condemned in any form until that gonif Paul) or even
>> extend its condemnation to passive homosexuality or pederasty proves
>> its specifically cultist purpose.
>
> Hmm. It "proves" it? The double standard on male vs. female
> homosexuality has a long history, all the way up to the present day.
> Not just in ancient Israel. So the double standard in the Bible could
> also "prove" that these recurrent preoccupations with the
> healthiness/hygiene of (male) homosexuality come from "deeper"
> cultural structures of ordering than any that could be the products of
> 18th and 19th century European imperialism or animosity towards a
> rival Palestinian cult.
>
> SA

This ignores the important distinction between sexual activity and sexual identity. Yes, the Bible identifies various sexual acts as immoral; however, male and female homosexuality as stable sexual identity categories cannot be found in the Bible. In our society, committing a particular sexual act does not make you a homosexual or a heterosexual; rather, sexual identities are socially negotiated and internalized as stable elements of a person's identity. Same-sex sexual activity can be found all over the place; however, the classification of people according to stable sexual types occurs in some societies but not others.

Miles