[lbo-talk] Speaking of Commies

Lew wsm_mod at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 27 01:48:19 PDT 2009

Joseph Catron wrote:

> I recently noticed that the Communist Party of Great Britain demands
> "a popular militia and the constitutional right to bear arms."
>
> http://www.cpgb.org.uk/worker/770/hopeful.html
>
> In the United States, where these things exist in limited fashions,
> the Communist Party USA opposes them.
>
> My theory is that Communists are ideologically opposed to being
> satisfied with anything.

Following the fall of the Kremlin Empire in 1989 the CPGB, like some other European Communist Parties, changed its name to Democratic Left. After only a few years functioning as a pressure group for various reforms, the Democratic Left disappeared entirely. Several years ago a group of opportunists took the name CPGB, but nothing of the ideology of the old party. As the example above indicates, the new party will say anything that will make the headlines.

-- Lew