[lbo-talk] Punish a Pinochet: Cui Bono?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Thu May 28 18:34:19 PDT 2009

I don't know my arse from my elbow so far as crime goes. Being mildly autistic I don't even understand people very well. But I would have thought that deterrence doesn't work because the criminal gambles either they won't get caught, or the risk of suffering the penalty is worth the benefit, or the criminal is simply one of those people who doesn't think further ahead than their nose.

But it probably does work a lot of the time. maybe most of the time.

You'd have to ask the people who don't commit crime. Who don't generally exceed the speed limit, who don't steal. Or political leaders don't start criminal wars and torture others. Ask them why they didn't, was it the fear of getting caught and punished? Or was it just that the benefits didn't stack up against the risk? Even if its just the risk of hating yourself for the rest of your life.

I'd like to ask that New Zealand couple who are in the news at the moment. The ones who skipped the country with $10 million that the bank accidently deposited into their account.

Presumably they wouldn't have bothered to skip the country if it had been $10,000? But $10 million is another kettle of fish. They must know that they'll eventually get caught, but you can have a great adventure being on the run with $10 million, so maybe they decided it would be worth the price?

Likewise, I've known people who cash dodgy cheques for $20, or steal cars for a short joy-ride, knowing they will get caught, knowing they will go back to jail when they do get caught. But to some people, jail is home. They are just as much at home in jail as out in the real world, perhaps more. It doesn't bother them in the least. The benefit outweighs the risk.

Plus, as you say, we just aren't that logical a species. perhaps the least logical of all the animal kingdom.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas