[lbo-talk] Newt thumps the Bible

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 30 11:32:01 PDT 2009

[HUMANEVENTS.com]

Below please find a special message from one of our advertisers, Renewing American Leadership. From time to time, we receive opportunities we believe you as a valued customer may want to know about. Please note that the following message does not necessarily reflect the editorial positions of Human Events.

"We're no longer a Christian nation." -- President Barack Obama (June, 2007)

If it concerns you that President Obama is telling Americans that we are "no longer a Christian nation," I hope you will join me in launching a very special campaign to reclaim our Judeo-Christian heritage.

The evidence is clear that our Founding Fathers built our nation on biblical principles.

In fact, I've written a book about it that I would like to send you.

I'll tell you more about that in a minute...

But first, I need you to SELECT HERE if you agree that we need to bring the morals of our Founding Fathers back to government.

I think you know where I stand.

Like President John Adams, I believe that "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

But Obama radicals are willfully ignoring the First Amendment's guarantee of freedom of religion.

For instance, far-left judges are ordering the Ten Commandments out of courthouses.

A legal battle to remove "In God We Trust" from U.S. currency is underway in the courts.

And Obama's administration is reversing the "Conscience Rule" to protect doctors and nurses who refuse to perform abortions due to religious reasons.

That's not what our Founding Fathers intended by separation of church and state.

But don't take just my word for it.

The evidence that our Founding Fathers built America on Judeo- Christian principles is written on nearly every building, memorial and monument in our Nation's Capital.

In my search for proof, I found biblical scripture engraved on some of the most important buildings in Washington, D.C.

For example, did you know that: "The heavens declare the glory of God" (Psalm 19:1) is engraved on a wall of the Library of Congress.

A sculpture of Moses with the Ten Commandments appears over the east portico of the Supreme Court.

"Holiness to the Lord" is engraved into a tribute block of the Washington Monument.

And a heartfelt prayer from President John Adams is carved into the stone fireplace in the White House State Dining Room: "I pray to heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that hereafter inhabit it." These are just a few of the many examples of Judeo-Christian imagery you'll find in our Nation's Capital.

Tourists visiting Washington, D.C. see them every day.

Yet Barack Obama lives in the White House... and pretends they aren't there.

In fact, buried inside Obama's trillion-dollar stimulus package is anti-Christian legislation that will stop churches from using public schools for meeting on Sundays, as well as Boy Scouts and student Bible study groups.

Perhaps someone should remind Barack Obama that members of Congress used to hold church services -- right in the U.S. Capitol building!

My friend, that someone is you and me.

Americans of faith need to know what's at stake.

That's why I founded "Renewing American Leadership" -- and why I need you to SELECT HERE if you agree that we need to bring the morals of our Founding Fathers back to government.

Since I left Congress, I've been working to bring moral leadership back to our nation.

One way is through my new organization, Renewing American Leadership. By working with pastors across the nation, ReAL is training a new generation of leaders who will bring Christian values with them to Congress.

Our Founding Fathers lived by those same values -- in fact, they prayed openly for our nation and even declared national days of prayer and fasting.

If you believe our nation could use more biblical values in our government, then I hope you will SELECT HERE to make your very best gift of $35, $50, $100, or even $500 to Renewing American Leadership today.

Your gift is tax-deductible. And in appreciation of your contribution of $35 or more, I will send you a copy of the book I mentioned earlier, Rediscovering God in America.

I wrote Rediscovering God in America to prove that our Founding Fathers clearly built this nation on Judeo-Christian values. Now you and I must tell millions of Americans that the proof is engraved in stone all over our Nation's Capital!

My friend, these are dangerous times for our nation and I'm counting on Americans of faith -- like you -- to support Renewing American Leadership.

If you disagree with Barack Obama's claim that "we are no longer a Christian nation," then please accept my invitation and SELECT HERE to make your tax-deductible donation of at least $35 to Renewing American Leadership today... and receive YOUR copy of Rediscovering God in America.

Our Founding Fathers weren't ashamed to declare their faith in public -- and we shouldn't be either!

Your friend,

Newt Gingrich

P.S. When Sean Hannity read my book, he said it "personally deepened his faith." I hope it will do the same for you and your family!

The next time an Obama liberal tells you "we're no longer a Christian nation," you can hold up your copy of Rediscovering God in America and tell them, "Yes, we are!" Thank you for your support!