[lbo-talk] North Korea's Real Crime

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sat May 30 09:00:31 PDT 2009

I don't like nuclear weapons, but for all the outrage regarding North Korea's nuclear explosion, nobody seems to have noticed that this week the U.S. celebrated the opening of the $3.5 billion National Ignition Facility. The New York Times described project without mentioning its military purpose, except quoting the project director who "compared the project to feats like going to the Moon, building the atom bomb and inventing the airplane." http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/science/26fusi.html?_r=1&ref=science

The NIF is supposed to simulate weapons tests without having to do anything as crude as exploding a bomb underground. Presumably North Korea should be condemned for being too poor to produce this cathedral of death near Berkeley, California.

p.s. I know that the authorities also wish NIF to create fusion power, but I doubt that it would have funding without its military "benefits."

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com