[lbo-talk] gore vidal is an old, cranky prick

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 05:51:12 PST 2009

wrobert at uci.edu -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Actually, our existence as physical objects is also profoundly socially conditioned. Simple questions of access to food and water have profound social dimensions, as well as our environment (particularly during and after the industrial revolution.) These social factors have a fairly profound effect on what our body is, and what it is capable of (This could be expanded to discuss modes of labor, modes of kinship, etc.) robert wood

> We're not just physical objects. We are people with identities, values,
> attitudes. and language, and all of those integral elements of our lives
> are the products of social interactions and social forces. The banal
> statement that we have physical bodies does not change this basic social
> fact.
>
> Miles

^^^^^^^

CB: How about we are physical objects, biological organisms and social/cultural/symboling beings ? Three levels of organization of reality all in one, the second being emergent from the first and the third being emergent fromt the second.