[lbo-talk] More "Who"

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 07:27:22 PST 2009

>michaels is worried worried worried that people are now treating class as
>an identity, just as they treat race. it is bad bad bad. but apparently, at
>least if you want to stay bound up within liberalism which is, after all,
>michaels' goal (welfare liberalism) then it actually works to treat class
>as an identity -- at least in terms of schooling. thus, his argument for
>equality of opportunity, which would leave schools segregated in terms of
>race and class, but would throw money at school to equalize funding is, at
>least in this instance, a policy that failed. the policy that succeeded,
>treated class as another criteria of diversity.

How so? It would appear that to stay within liberal capitalism we need to treat class as an identity. As your example makes clear what succeeded in NC schools was not the abolition of capitalism or class but its religitimation. The idea that we can have capitalism and equality- which whether you realize it or not underlies your claim for class as an identity- is a liberal utopian dream. Capitalism cannot be overcome by equalizing the oppurtunities between the two classes. That is welfare liberalism to the T and it has been proven to be a failed tactic.

Brad