[lbo-talk] More "Who"

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 07:47:16 PST 2009

>What I said is that the idea of a race- and gender-neutral capitalism is a
chimera. There never has
>been any such thing, and it is unlikely that there ever could be for
reasons
>I outlined. That leaves room for tremendous social changes within the
>context of capitalism, with respect to the particular way in which racial
>and gender oppression works, its ferocity, the level of exploitation, etc.
>More fundamental change, ie the complete abolition of race and gender
>oppression, is something that is highly unlikely to be available within
>capitalism itself.

Who ever said that there was a race-and-gender-neutral capitalism? Your second point that it is unlikely that there ever could be is based on an understanding of the relationship between capitalism and race and gender as static and unchanging. Then, you try to have it both ways by claiming that you allow plenty of room for changes in the relationship between race and gender with capitalism. The last sentence you again are debating strawpeople, as no one claimed that capitalism has, or that it inevitably will, completely abolish race and gender oppression. However, if we have a truely fluid and socio-historically determined understanding of the relationship between capitalism and forms of identity oppression we must include as one possibility that capitalism would seek to overcome these forms of identity oppression for both legitimacy purposes (ie: hegemony) and to increase exploitation (ie: 'reduce all to the cash nexus'). Furthermore, it also has to be a possibility that capitalism would actually benefit from both old style identity oppression and the 'movement' to abolish this exploitation. Obviously I think we are actually in or entering the last possibility: that capitalism benefits from both the racalization and gendered oppression and from seeking to overcome it. Wouldn't this understanding offer the most dialectal way of understanding the relationships?

Brad