[lbo-talk] do people still read post-structuralism?

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 11:42:40 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> We do? I don't think there's a single deconstructionist on this list.
> I could be wrong.

i thought he was talking about marx, but past that . . .

you're wrong. at least if i count as being on the list, even if i'm only "present" (ha ha?) intermittently -- perhaps my absence is present. anyway, maybe i'm really Derridean rather than Deconstructionist, but i leave it to people who care about such labels (whether as badges of honor/club membership, or, alternatively, as a scarlet D of shame) to sort out whether there's any meaningful Difference (ahem) between the two.

The truth (and i think there is such a thing, depending on what you mean by it) is that i'm a bit of a Dilettante[1], so i probably actually incarnate a lot of what people who decry postmodernists hate. there was a time when i was much more politically active than i have been in a while, but that fact has nothing at all to do with cushy professorial wages (i'm presently deeply in debt and infinitely far from tenure) or with my intellectual debt to Derrida. Quite the contrary. I might try to explain that if anyone cares, but I've probably said too much, already.

[1] also, Defensive, Diabolical, and Disestablishmentarianistic. And a tease. ;-)