[lbo-talk] pretty much as predicted

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 4 06:40:03 PST 2009

[from Mike Allen's Daily Update]

THE BLOGS, by Michael Falcone:

--DEMOCRATS HAVE A 'BASE PROBLEM' -- DailyKos's Markos Moulitsas Zuniga: 'This is what Democrats better take from tonight: 1. If you abandon Democratic principles in a bid for unnecessary 'bipartisanship,' you will lose votes. 2. If you water down reform in favor of Blue Dogs and their corporate benefactors, you will lose votes. 3. If you forget why you were elected -- health care, financial services, energy policy and immigration reform -- you will lose votes. Tonight proved conclusively that we're not going to turn out just because you have a (D) next to your name, or because Obama tells us to. We'll turn out if we feel it's worth our time and effort to vote, and we'll work hard to make sure others turn out if you inspire us with bold and decisive action.'

--IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CENTER -- The New Republic's John B. Judis: 'If the results of New York's 23rd are placed alongside those of New Jersey and Virginia, there is a clear lesson for the Republicans. In New Jersey and Virginia, the gubernatorial candidates ran to the center. ... And as a result, they got the swing vote of independents and moderates. In New York-23, a diehard conservative backed by rightwing groups repudiated the center and lost to a neophyte Democratic candidate who probably could not have beaten Scozzafava in a one-to-one contest. Democrats have reason to worry about candidates like McDonnell--particularly if the unemployment rate continues in 2010 to undermine Obama's standing among voters. That is the message that the Virginia election sends. But Democrats don't have to worry about a party dominated by Armey, Beck, Palin, and Hoffman. That is the message of New York's 23rd.'

--'IN NY-23, CONSERVATIVES WIN' -- RedState's Erick Erickson: 'Whaaaa. . . ?' you say. There are two big victories at work in New York's 23rd Congressional District. First, the GOP now must recognize it will either lose without conservatives or will win with conservatives. In 2008, many conservatives sat home instead of voting for John McCain. Now, in NY-23, conservatives rallied and destroyed the Republican candidate the establishment chose. ... Secondly, and just as importantly, there has all of a sudden been a huge movement among some activists to go the third party route. We see in NY-23 that this is not possible as third parties are not viable. Third parties lack funding and ability for a host of reasons. Conservatives are going to have to work from within the GOP. The GOP had better pay attention.'