[lbo-talk] Conversation with Derrida

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 6 11:56:58 PST 2009

At 10:44 AM 11/6/2009, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>What I expect is more of a history French imports to the US

That's it. And it's not just about imported books and lectures. Parts of it read like a Rolling Stone report on backstage doings. Like reports of Deleuze and Guattari meeting with Black Panthers and Patti Smith.

>rather than a theoretical analysis. It would be great if it does both.

The analytical parts I remember have more to do with explaining particulars of higher education in the U.S. Things like going to college in the U.S. for most people means going to a campus that's outside the city and removed from the nitty gritty of urban areas. I'm not sure Cusset's U.S. geography is up to speed because I think that point is a little exaggerated but it's still an interesting section.

He also spends a lot of time explaining how English departments in the U.S. were ripe for importing ideas about reading from continental philosophy.

I think Alan mentioned that the title of the French edition was in English. That sums up what the book is about, how French Theory was Made in America.