[lbo-talk] Conversation with Derrida

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 05:02:18 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:46 PM, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> A point made here against Sokal is that he does not engage with the school of science studies, which is of course a damaging criticism so far as it is true.
>
> But surely it is more damaging that, according to my straw poll, no working scientists seem to be remotely interested in the philosophy of science.

Aside from the points made by others, this is very contrary to my experience. But then I've almost always been at towards the pure research end of things.

I never got the impression that Sokal has any problem with science studies per se, just the tendency to throw the notion of facts out with the bathwater. Maybe that's not what is usually considered science studies (and that would be just great, since I found the subject in that case unrecognizable) but at the time that's how its practitioners often represented it.

-- Andy