[lbo-talk] workshop

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Nov 9 04:52:00 PST 2009

At 02:22 PM 11/7/2009, Dorene Cornwell wrote:
>Apologies to the rest of this list.....
>
>Discuss a principle. Then show an example and make people from the
>audience tell you how the example illustrates the principle. This
>works either for tech points or the "Why will this work for what we
>are trying to do?: aspect.

excellent idea! and thanks to everyone who posted offlist. I've been too busy to reply individually as yet!

>Riskier, mixed in with the good examples, a bad example and ask the
>audience to fix.
>
>Extra credit if people can identify features related to accessibility/
>W3 compliance or whatever your org standard (you do have one?) in that
>area is.

:) You'll be glad to know we discussed accessibility -- if only because the
BBC nixed this technology -- for awhile -- until it could be made to stop interfering with screen readers.

>Cheesy giveaways like low-budget Starbucks or favorite local store
>gift cards might help keep SOME people's noses out of their
>blackberries enough to answer questions.

ha! that really is annoying. only one person did this, and I was able to ignore it, but I could see where it would get annoying. Luckily, I'm a peon, so people didn't feel compelled to show up to show that they did. I had to laugh though at how many people I notice have their faces pointed toward their lap during our monthly all-hands meeting.

>On the other hand if you need to exist in mobile device space, make
>people suggest how they would strip the code down for that
>environment.
>
>DO NOT project anything smaller than 16 or 18 point or no one will be
>able to read it. I have a serious pet peeve about people who do live
>demos with nothing bigger than the native Windows Explorer display. If
>you HAVE to demo like that, at least use the Windows Extra Large
>display characteristics.

Good point. I will pass this along to folks who'll be presenting at our larger, monthly lunch and learn meetings.