[lbo-talk] how radical was Derrida?

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 15:03:33 PST 2009

Alan, did you really mean to write

"as you have it, all the confidence, uncertainty, torment, relief and sadness of all the people I know who've decided to terminate pregnancies - and I know a raft of people who've made that choice (not always feeling it was a choice), and for wildly divergent sets of reasons - was wasted emotional energy: their choice was either objectively right or objectively wrong and there's nothin' else to it."

if you did, then I am sorry I was so obtuse.

I did not mean at all that the decision whether or not to terminate was straightforward. I only meant that EITHER the decision rightly lies with the woman, OR it is prohibited by the state. That is either a woman has a right to choose, or she does not.

Assuming that a woman has a right to choose says nothing about the particular difficulties of her choice, or otherwise.

But none of that has any bearing on the proposition that either it is right that women have a right to procure an abortion, or it is not.