[lbo-talk] Recipe for "privatizing" schools

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 07:22:33 PST 2009

[WS:] Joanna, I absolutely agree that charter schools are the complete destruction of the teaching profession. I also may add that they are the embodiment of the privateer ideology (private=good, public=bad) that has such a strong grip on the American mind. For these two reasons alone, I am not supportive of private schools (charter or otherwise.)

However, we need to look at thinks in the proper context. Forcing every child through twelve years of schooling with curriculum based on Shakespeare, algebra and geometry and standardized testing with artificially induced stress factor (timing) strikes me as utter nonsense. It turns off many kids who have neither interest nor ability to learn Shakespeare or algebra but who could be good cooks, hair stylists, carpenters, entertainers or artists. If these kids could go to alternative programs that teach these skills both them and the society as a whole would benefit. But dragging them, through high schools with focus on algebra and literature is counterproductive for these kids and for the teachers.

So while curriculum in these schools is not "standardized" in terms of local yokels being able to add their own idiosyncrasies it is standardized in the sense of using the same model of education - one that is designed for college bound kids, and for the most part ignoring the needs of those who have no interest in college.

Wojtek