[lbo-talk] Recipe for "privatizing" schools

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 09:39:58 PST 2009

[WS:] Where do I say that people with poor test scores are criminals? I think it made my unfavorable views on standardized testing quite clear.

The point I was trying to make is that the presence of delinquent (let's avoid the word 'criminal') elements in school has a negative impact on learning of the entire school population. That is one of the main reasons why so many minority parents who care try to send their kids to charters schools or private schools if they can afford it. I think that this self-selection is the only thing that makes a difference between public and private schools - not just a statistical difference (i.e. selecting kids that would do better anyway) but also real difference, by reducing the negative impact of delinquent elements.

I also think that public schools would fare much better if they could be more selective about who can enroll, e.g. by lowering the compulsory education to 6 or 7 grades, beyond which kids could attend either a high school if they are college bound, a 2-3 year vocational school or job training, or no school at all.

I do not know about the situation in Chicago, but here in the Baltimore/DC area the push for charter schools comes from below, mainly from Blacks. This is unfortunate, but it is also difficult to blame parents for wanting to remove their kids from the negative environment that many public schools have become, especially in urban areas.

Of course, there is more to it, for example political tug-o-war between the State Department of Education dominated by the Republican Nancy Grasmick and the City of Baltimore. Grasmick got appointed and survived Democrat attempts to oust her (thanks to laws aimimg to "depolotiticize" schools, ha ha ha) and is a big force behing standardized testing (to help the kids, of course) which is seen as a vehicle for state taking over Baltimore schools (which do poorly on standardized tests.)

To reiterate, my point is that public schools are probably better than private (if there is any difference at all) but they face a much tougher job, maninly because they cannot select thier students. However, a broader an more important point is that what maters is not schools but kids' attitude toward learning and parental influence.

Wojtek