[lbo-talk] Recipe for "privatizing" schools

shrill.polemic shrill.polemic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 07:50:13 PST 2009

Wojtek, this is silly. Do you really think anyone who fairs badly on standardized test is a criminal? Please.

My original point was that charter schools in Chicago are allowed to select their students. Those who don't do well academically can be rejected or kicked out. It's easier to attain high test scores when you don't have to work with the students who need the most help. And even taking that into account, Chicago charter schools don't tend to perform much better than traditional public schools, if at all.

I would argue Daley's push for charter schools in Chicago doesn't have much to do with education. Instead it's about enhancing the mayor's power. And Arne Duncan's leadership in that process is what won him his gig as Sec. of Education.

shrill