[lbo-talk] the politics of food

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Nov 12 12:31:13 PST 2009

At 01:52 PM 11/12/2009, Asad Haider wrote:
>It is likely that lard fell out of favor in the early to mid 20th century
>since it was easy to use contempt for agricultural life to clear the space
>for the industrial alternative to lard, hydrogenated vegetable oil. Since
>the brain is 60% fat and cholesterol, and reflects in its constitution the
>dietary intake of fatty acids, hydrogenated vegetable oil, which seems to
>cause inflammation and block communication between neurons, must really
>represent ideology at its purest, by introducing blocks in knowledge
>directly into the brain.

even better! bacon fat is seen as 'bad' for you and every good person knows in their heart that you must not eat the bad dirty animal fat. but it's most prominent sat fat, stearic acid, is not bad for you. It's next most prominent, arachidic acid -- also not bad for you -- it's a form of Omega 6 fatty acid. True, we get too much Omega 6 and not enough Omega 3 but its sat fat content doesn't live up to the rep.

i just made an apply pie crust with lard. effinawesome.

and this:

>"Tofu in Indian food, or Mexican or French
>food, for that matter, could be considered a significant political problem,
>representing the domination of the industrial soybean (commonly used to
>extract the oil later converted into the lard-substitutes mentioned above,
>after it is torn from its home and its traditional processing, usually
>involving fermentation or animal-based broths) over peasant culture."

I love you. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! I love you!

shag