[lbo-talk] what is the best measure of business investment in the US national accounts

Rudy Fichtenbaum rfichtenbaum at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:44:50 PST 2009

James,

The best approximation of "constant capital" would depend on whether you were looking for a flow measure of constant capital or a stock measure. For a flow measure I would take depreciation (current cost depreciation of private fixed assets table 2.4 from fixed assets at the BEA website) plus the cost of intermediate goods from the Annual Industry Accounts (also at the BEA web site) which include energy inputs, materials inputs and purchased service inputs. If I were measuring constant capital as a stock I would used fixed assets which you can get at the BEA web site plus inventories from the NIPA tables 5.7a and 5.7b.

Rudy