[lbo-talk] the politics of food

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:07:13 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:43 AM, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2009, at 11:21 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:

>> Martin replied
>>>
>>> Depends on whether you ate it yourself, or served it to others (who ate
>>> it).
>>
>> Served it to myself and dinner guests. Very popular. Yellow peppers,
>> orange peppers, red peppers, onions, mangos, partially cooked pasta,
>> firm tofu cut up small, lime juice, honey, wine, olive oil, curry
>> powder, garlic, salt, sweetened coconut, cardoman.  Prepare and cook
>> for ten minutes while making breakfast, refrigerate until dinner time
>> to marinate, begin cooking again cooking ten or fifteen minutes before
>> dinner time - serve when peppers and onions are cooked. Make two
>> servings per person, cause most people will have seconds.
>
> Sounds very good. But the question re the significance of the politics
> (which I assume was a facetious question) might be answered with the idea
> that an effective left activist might be expected to be found hanging with
> folks who prefer the chicken fried steak.
>
> xx, martin

You know actually my Coconut Curry Tofu was pretty popular even when I lived in Texas. I was doing field programming among oil field roughnecks, and we did potlucks, and it went fast. And they mostly went for fried chicken, and Tex-Mex. Don't ever recall any of them saying anything good about chicken fried steak. II was making a serious point in a facetious way - there is a stereotypical assumption about what a majority of working people like, even if you narrowly and (I think uselessly) define working people to mean blue collar manual laborers. (Blue collar meaning excluding manual laborers like surgeons whose manual labor is considered "professional" and compensated accordingly .) --

I make a good pot roast too, but to tell you the truth my vegan dishes are popular with more people.