[lbo-talk] persistent fall

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:20:18 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Mike. About a third of the way in, I'm liking it a lot as
> well. Even though he doesn't use the term, he's talking about real
> subsumption without insisting on its being distinct (novel) historical
> era, a la Negri. I also like his treatment of absolute and relative
> surplus-value and that he pays such close attention to exchange. And,
> especially, that he has a noninstrumental view of the state. I'll
> check out the other authors you mentioned.

Hey Eric - I wasn't necessarily suggesting you read Foley and Dumenil and Levy. I was just linking the Aglietta to the value theory stuff earlier in the thread - those guys represent a similar position in the present generation of the debate, against the Temporal Single System stuff of Kliman et al. Which is only an aspect of what Aglietta is doing in that book. I really like Foley a lot, and I like some of Dumenil and Levy (their book on the economics of the profit rate; 'Capital Resurgent' not as much). But they're more technical economists - not so much of the historical scope of Aglietta.

Cheers, Mike