[lbo-talk] WBAI slates

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 13 04:48:01 PST 2009

On Nov 13, 2009, at 1:45 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> So I've finally gotten my ballot, and now I've gotten a couple of
> recommendations in the mail, one from Take Forward WBAI and one from
> ACE/WBAI. Both are anti-JUC, which is the starting point; one of
> them has a big picture of Doug, which is always a plus.

You just got the ballot? What a nightmare. They used the wrong mailing list and sent it bulk mail. Apparently they did the same with the replacement - is it first class or bulk?

That ACE mailer is a deceptive piece of crap put together by direct marketing whiz Steve Brown, a man who got rich through late night TV ads, selling junk to the gullible. He laid out the thing to make it look like I was endorsing the slate - and not just me, but Noam Chomsky too. He quoted something I wrote and used my pic without ever asking me. He doesn't say it's an endorsement - it's just supposed to look that way, which is how everyone takes it. He used a DVD of Chomsky speaking as a come-on in that mailer without Chomsky's approval, and to his great annoyance. When I complained, Brown's response was basically, "tough!" Same to Chomsky's agent.

So fuck 'em. Just stick with the people that Esther & I & the rest endorsed.

Doug