[lbo-talk] Politics of food

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:50:39 PST 2009

First of all, gemeinschaft and gesselschaft do not map onto rural and urban. My colleagues teach this wrong all the time.Tonnies actually argued that each of us has more communal relations with intimates and more social relationships with strangers.

Secondly, at least in the US, 19th C populism was simultaneously isolationist and xenophobic - right wing radicalism, AND anti-capitalist and progressive - left wing radicalism.

Third, as is almost always true of populism - since it has no social theory beyond human scale = good and too big = bad - populist rurality simply swings right or left depending on who the big bad enemy of the day is. In the US, state and federal governments - and land grant universities - committed themselves to the technophilic market efficiencies of "progressive agriculture and federal and state rural development plans focused on modernization and diversification across the 20th C. These commitments, as Hightower argued 35 years ago in Hard Times, Hard Tomatoes, effectively destroyed the farmers and communities the majority of the bureaucrats and researchers thought they were defending in the name of Jeffersonian democracy. The majority of what's left in rural America - aside from isolated ex-urban pockets - is either a variation on a theme by Farm Bureau/American Legion-driven capitalist agriculture or depressed, under-educated, and parochial folks deeply committed to the isolationist and xenophobic side of traditional populist values.