[lbo-talk] french love of thugs (with style)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 14 17:01:26 PST 2009

My first impression was that this was like saying that "juggernaut" is a racist term for giant stone elephants, which were not used to crush people, but rather as huge chia pets. "Untouchable" is also concept invented by the British, traditional Hindu culture having immense respect for all strata of society.

----- Original Message ---- From: Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sun, November 15, 2009 2:37:03 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] french love of thugs (with style)

I believe that's what Shane is referencing. But his is an awfully charitable take on the Thuggee, and I'm not convinced it's entirely an historical one.

Shane, isn't the society thought to have preceded British rule by centuries? And didn't its killings clearly stem from religious fanaticism more than economic displacement?