[lbo-talk] french love of thugs (with style)

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 15:37:03 PST 2009

I believe that's what Shane is referencing. But his is an awfully charitable take on the Thuggee, and I'm not convinced it's entirely an historical one.

Shane, isn't the society thought to have preceded British rule by centuries? And didn't its killings clearly stem from religious fanaticism more than economic displacement?

I thoughht "thug" came from the Thuggee caste, like "assassin" comes from