[lbo-talk] Blunden critique of Postone

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 13:06:58 PST 2009

> Andy Blunden. March 2005
>
> Moishe Postone on the Subject in Marx’s Capital

Thanks for this, it's interesting. Andy Blunden is the Australian librarian responsible for large sections of the Marxists Internet Archive, esp. Hegel by Hypertext.

Cheers, Mike

^^^^^^^

CB: Yes indeedy. And I'm a big user of MIA Check this out ! His "collected" works are something.

http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/index.htm

I'd like to discuss his "Reading “Capital” " under our "Bedlamite economics" and the EMH thread

Andy Blunden. June 2009

Reading “Capital” There are a number of ways in which people have read Capital.

(1a) According to one reading, Marx was (amongst other things) an economist and Capital is a book about economics. Marx recognised that the political economists of the period of the rise of capitalism (Adam Smith, Ricardo) wanted to develop a genuinely scientific theory of the workings of capitalism while later economists (J S Mill, Malthus) were merely apologists, whose theories deliberately obscured the truth about capitalism so as to cover up the fact of exploitation and disarm the workers. So Marx developed the work of the early political economists, and produced a sound body of scientific knowledge, in contrast to modern economic science which is both unscientific and ideological. The cornerstone of Marx’s theory in this reading is “Marx’s labour theory of value,” and any attack on the LTV is an attack on the working class and an attack on Marx. In this reading, “critique” means exposing the ideological character of all economics beyond the early period of Smith and Ricardo, and cleansing these early works of their weaknesses and illusions.

(continued) http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/reading-capital.htm