[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Education: What’s Race Got To Do With It?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 16:07:19 PST 2009

RE: Sometimes, the Majority of Americans Are Really Stupid

[WS:] I would not go that far. Humans are social creatures, and it is type of social interaction that determines their consciousness and behavior. The same people can act and think very stupid or vile in one situation and to something extraordinary in another. The Stanford Prison Study demonstrates that quite well.

The problem is with the competitive nature of elections - it triggers the worst instincts in people. It is so, because the stakes and outcomes of the electoral process are so poorly defined that most people do not ordinarily see any incentive to participate in the process (the so-called free rider problem in the game theory). They must be incentivized to take this election business seriously.

This incentivization almost never involves real rewards at least for ordinary people (businessmen are different, they get actual patronage support that makes them money.) It almost always involves symbolic rewards or rather illusions or rewards. Such illsuions are created by demagogues by erecting bogey men that scare people shitless and then offering "protection" from thosoe bogey men if elected. That evokes a lot of negative emotions in people and keep the whole business of electioneering going, even though people who vote get nothing out of it except the vile satisfaction of getting the ass of some imaginary evil kicked.

In sum, it is the competition and symbolic incentivization to participate in elections that evokes the worst emotions in people, not their supposed meanness or stupidity. I am pretty sure that most Americans would not espouse such mean attitudes if they were somewhow shielded from the electioneering hype.

wojtek