[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Education: What’s Race Got To Do With It?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 22:39:47 PST 2009

"program for real social, political, or economic change"

[WS:] What does that mean? What specific actions would such a change entail?

As I see it, anything that can be considered progressive in this country - from support for the artists and writers during the great depression, to old age protection programs, to abolishing Jim Crow or providing access to abortion has been accomplished through actions of some progressive government official and against fierce popular opposition fueled by fiery congressional demagogues. However, as democracy in Amerika is perfected, fewer and fewer such government progressive moves are possible anymore.

I do not think that anything meaningfully progressive is possible today in this country. The only progressive thing a politician can realistically do is to refrain from fearmongering, mudslinging, and vile character assassination. Obama did just that and moved one step ahead - he tries to inject some civility to the political discourse, which is truly revolutionary in this barbaric polity. That is far better than 99 percent of talking heads in the political discourse.

Wojtek